Tuesday, 7 June 2016

While police are treating his death as unexplained, his family has issued a warning about a potentially lethal online craze.
10:07, UK,Monday 06 June 2016
Karnel Haughton
A 12-year-old boy has died after reportedly playing a "choking game" made popular on social media.
Karnel Haughton is believed to have lost consciousness and suffocated while playing the "game".
He was found by his mother Gemma at about 9.45pm on Wednesday and later died in hospital.
While police are treating his death as "unexplained", his family has issued a warning about the potentially lethal online trend.
Family friend Bee Bailey said: "At first we did not know exactly what happened but some of Karnel's friends have come forward and told the police and family about a game/craze that has become popular amongst youngsters on the internet and social media called the choking game.
"It involves either putting your hands around your friend's neck or tying something around your own neck to starve the brain of oxygen and pass out, inducing temporary euphoria."
A GoFundMe page has now been set up to help pay for his funeral, and more than £1,000 has been raised so far.
Pupils at the boy's school, Greenwood Academy in Birmingham, will receive specialist support.
Principal Harry French said staff and pupils at the school are "devastated".
He said: "For all the children out there that know it as the choking game please be aware of the consequences.
"Karnel was the most beautiful boy anybody would come across, popular, confident and a cheeky little lad."
A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "Police were called by the ambulance service to an address just off Farnborough Road in Castle Vale at around 9.45pm on Wednesday 1 June following reports that a child had collapsed.
"The 12-year-old was taken to hospital but despite their best efforts the boy died later that day.
"The death is being treated as unexplained and has been referred to the coroner."