A van driver with eight previous convictions for using his phone at the wheel killed a cyclist after reading a text message, just weeks after magistrates let him keep his licence.
Christopher Gard, 30, was jailed for nine years after he ploughed intokeen cyclist Lee Martin, 48, who was competing in a ten mile time trial event.
Gard struck Mr Martin at 65mph, then later took a "deliberate and calculated" action in deleting three messages from his mobile phone to hide the fact he was using it, Winchester Crown Court, heard.
The driver accepted he had read the message, but claimed that the collision itself happened because he was distracted by his young son.
The crash, on August 12 last year on the A31 dual carriageway near Bentley, Hants, happened just six weeks after Gard, of Alton, Hants, was allowed to keep his licence.
To find out my brother lost his life to someone who had been convicted eight times for using his mobile phone while driving makes the whole thing much worseDarrell Martin
He had twice attended driving awareness courses and was given fixed penalty notices five times since April 2009 for using his phone while driving.
When convicted on 30 June last year he pleaded with magistrates to keep his licence claiming it would cause "excessive harm" to his family and promising to lock his phone in the boot of his van while driving.
Mr Martin's brother Darrell, 47, said the magistrates had "failed my brother and failed my family by giving out such a light punishment".
Reading his victim impact statement in court, he said: "To find out my brother lost his life to someone who had been convicted eight times for using his mobile phone while driving makes the whole thing much worse, so much more senseless and so much more avoidable.
"I think a death was inevitable. Only six weeks before the event he was pleading before magistrates."
Ian Bridge, mitigating, said his client wished he could turn the clock back to his day at magistrates court, and accepted a disqualification.
Gard admitted causing death by dangerous driving on the first day of his trial, having initially denied the charge.
Sentencing, Judge Susan Evans QC said: "This is a senseless loss of life.
"Regrettably, there is nothing this court can do today that will in any way ease the distress for those of Mr Martin's family and friends.
"You showed an arrogant disregard for the safety of others on the road."
She continued: "On June 30 last year just six weeks before you collided with Mr Martin you were convicted after trial of drivingwhilst using a mobile telephone and on that day, you put forward to the magistrates that you would encounter special hardship.
"You assured the magistrates you wouldn't use your phone, that you would lock it in the boot of a car in a bag."
Judge Evans added that he was obviously aware of the risk of using a phone at the wheel having attended driver awareness courses.
Mr Martin is survived by his two daughters aged 12 and 15 and his wife, Jo, who described in a victim impact statement the ache she felt every day and waking up to see the space in the bed where her husband no longer lies.
Before his death, Mr Martin, of Basingstoke, Hants, completed the Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100 - a 100 mile route through London and Surrey which he completed in five hours.
He was a member of the North Hampshire Road Club, who fondly remembered his transformation from being 'distinctly overweight' to the 'guy to beat' in his time with them.
Barry Tooke, then press secretary at the club, said at the time of his death: "Lee was a top bloke; a really powerful rider, good-natured mickey-taker, and capable of blistering profanity when the occasion required.
"The world is a poorer place without him, he'll be remembered well."