Thursday, 10 November 2016


Bosses at the brewing company say they are "deeply saddened" and are working with authorities to find it how it happened.


Carlsberg brewery in Northampton - Google Street View image
Image Caption:Emergency services were called to the Carlsberg plant after reports of an industrial accident
A factory worker has died and 22 other people - including police officers and firefighters - were taken to hospital following a gas leak at a Carlsberg brewery.
Emergency services were called to the factory in Northampton town centre at 12.30pm on Tuesday following reports of an industrial accident involving an ammonia leak.
The victim is said to be in his 40s.
Eleven staff, two police officers and nine firefighters were treated in hospital.
A 51-year-old man who was working on the site remains in a serious but stable condition.
Carlsberg UK chief executive officer Julian Momen said: "We are deeply, deeply saddened by today's tragic incident and subsequent fatality.
"Our immediate thoughts are with the individual's family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time and we will support them in every way we can.
"Our further thoughts and support are with our colleagues and members of the emergency services who are being treated in hospital.
"One of our colleagues remains in a serious but stable condition.
"Nothing is more important to us than the safety of everyone working for us.
"We are working closely with the authorities to investigate how this tragic incident occurred and we will be in a position to say more once a full investigation has been concluded."
Northamptonshire Police said: "Other staff from Carlsberg and emergency service personnel remain at the hospital receiving treatment.
"Northamptonshire Police are working with the Health and Safety Executive to investigate the incident."
The force said the gas leak was confined to the factory site and there is not thought to be a wider risk to members of the public.
Witness Emma Duckenfield told the Northamptonshire Chronicle & Echo: "There was a pungent burning smell around the building."