Sunday, 31 July 2016

A Police Scotland operation uncovers more than 30 million pictures involving children being abused online.

A major operation by Police Scotland has identified 523 children as potential victims of online sexual abuse.
A major operation by Police Scotland has identified 523 children as potential victims of online sexual abuse.
A major operation by Police Scotland has identified 523 children as potential victims of online sexual abuse.
Operation Lattise, which was carried out between 6 June and 15 July, has recovered as many as 30 million indecent images.
It has involved 134 investigations which has led to raids on the homes of 83 suspects, 77 of whom have been arrested and charged so far.
They offences include rape, sexual extortion, grooming and sharing indecent images of children - some as young as three.
Of the 523 "victims or potential victims" aged between three and 18, 122 have been referred to child protection services.
More than 100,000 chat logs were assessed, as well as the live streaming of sexual abuse, and some 547 devices seized as part of the massive investigation which is still ongoing.
Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham told Sky News: "People should be horrified that this is going on in Scotland.
"This operation is targeting people who are committing these crimes in Scotland, and keeping children safe in Scotland, identifying victims and raising awareness."
He said Operation Lattise was about "shining a light on the scale of this issue".
"Online child sexual abuse is a national threat. The reality is it is happening now, not only in Scotland but across the world, to children of all ages, from infants to teenagers," he said.
"Let me make it clear - child sexual abuse and exploitation, which can range from sharing images depicting the rape, sexual torture or assault of a child to grooming or sexually extorting a child takes place solely because of decisions made on the part of the abuser.
"Online child sexual abuse is not a victimless crime: children, from toddlers to teenagers, are being sexually abused and exploited now in Scotland and when an image or video clip is shared or viewed, they are being re-victimised."
Joanna Barrett, from the NSPCC, welcomed the crackdown.
She said: "We recently highlighted how the internet is playing an increasing role in the sexual abuse of younger children in Scotland, with a 60% rise recorded over a year in the number of indecent communications offences carried out by adults against children aged under 13.
"It is vital we learn more about the nature and scale of this offending in Scotland and its impact on children and young people."
Early years minister Mark McDonald said: "Although there are many positive aspects to the online world I recognise, there are also risks we have to be aware of."

A baby boy remains in a critical but stable condition in Bristol Children's Hospital and two people are being held by police.

Archdeacon Street, Gloucester
The two people were arrested in Archdeacon Street, Gloucester
Two people have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a three-month-old boy was seriously injured.
The baby was admitted to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital on Saturday and then moved to Bristol Children's Hospital.
He remains in a critical but stable condition.
A woman, 20, and a man, 26, have been arrested by Gloucestershire Police.
A police spokesman said: "Police were called to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital at 11am on 30 July after concerns were raised for a baby's welfare.
"A baby boy, aged three months old, was brought to the hospital with serious injuries.
"He now remains in a critical but stable condition at Bristol Children's Hospital.
"We wish to reassure the local community that this is thought to be an isolated and contained incident, with no wider risk to the public."

The youngster is being questioned after the victim, aged in his 40s, died after being assaulted outside a McDonald's.

Scene of attack in Greater Manchester
Flowers are left at the scene of the attack in Greater Manchester
A 12-year-old boy has become a murder suspect after a man in his 40s was assaulted outside a fast food restaurant in Greater Manchester.
The youngster was held on Sunday morning along with another youth, aged 17, after two 16-year-old boys were arrested on Saturday.
All four are being held in custody for questioning on suspicion of murder, said Greater Manchester Police.
The victim was assaulted outside the McDonald's on Warrington Street in the town centre of Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, on Wednesday night.
He was taken to hospital where he died in the early hours of Thursday.
The victim is yet to be formally identified, but police are expected to release his name on Monday.
Detective Inspector Kevin O'Regan said it had been a "fast-moving investigation" and urged anyone with any information to get in touch "no matter how insignificant you think it may be".
Police can be contacted on 101 quoting incident number 2541 of 27/07/16. 
People can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Monday, 25 July 2016

The 34-year-old victim was declared dead at the scene, after police were called following reports of a disturbance.

Scene of the murder
The scene of the fatal shooting
Two people have been arrested after a 34-year-old man was shot dead at a pool party in Surrey.
One person has been detained on suspicion of murder and another individual on suspicion of assisting an offender, a police spokeswoman said.
The body of the 34-year-old victim was found with a gunshot wound after officers were called to an address in Headley, shortly after 2.30am, following reports of a disturbance.
The property, on Church Lane, had been rented out for a private pool party, advertised as a £20-a-head event "at a posh location in the hills".
Video: Police Update: Arrest On Suspicion Of Murder
A police spokeswoman said they believe a handgun had been used in the shooting, which has not yet been recovered.
Several other people at the event are thought to have been seriously injured.
Detective Superintendent Bex Smith said a 36-year-old woman received medical treatment after being shot in the leg.
Locals said they were woken in the early hours by the sound of cars honking their horns as people left the house.
Braintear Spookie's party flyer
Braintear Spookie's party flyer
Nick Woolley, who lives near the property, said: "There was a very loud private party in a house very close to the church which started at 5pm and I was awoken by very loud music, rap-style.
"I was woken at 2.30am by cars honking their cars, trying to get away from it. It was a very loud party with a DJ which was disturbing anyone near it.
"About 3am a police helicopter was overhead and it was circling for 45 minutes. The village is now swarming with police."
The party was advertised in advance as "The Big Mansion Pool Party Called My League - Part 3".
Scene of the murder
A police forensics officer scours the back garden for evidence
The promoters - known as Krissy The Female Boss and Braintear Spookie - had been regularly posting about the event on social media in the days leading up to it.
Councillor David Preedy, who lives a quarter of a mile away from the house, said: "There was a noisy party last year that I know was problematic.
Braintear Spookie
Braintear Spookie next to a pool in a photo posted days before the event
"It started at 11pm and went on until 5am on Monday morning so was decidedly unpopular.
"When it was clear that the repeat was being organised, I notified the police on behalf of the parish council and on behalf of the community.
"Obviously I didn't realise what was going to happen."
Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or with any information to contact them on 101 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Stephen Port: Suspect accused of four gay website poison murders charged with attacking eight more men 

Stephen Port
Stephen Port is accused of six further counts of administering a poison, seven of rape and four sexual assaults against another eight men CREDIT: FACEBOOOK
An alleged serial killer accused of drugging and murdering four men he met on gay websites has been charged with attacking eight others.
Stephen Port, 41, was originally charged with four counts of murder and four counts of administering a poison.
He is also accused of six further counts of administering a poison, seven of rape and four sexual assaults against another eight men, it can be reported for the first time.
He pleaded not guilty to all the charges, which allegedly took place between 2011 and 2015, at the Old Bailey on Monday.
Port, of Barking, east London, sat with his hands clasped in front of him as each of the charges was read out in court.
Appearing in court via video-link from Belmarsh Prison, wearing smart black trousers and a light shirt, he spoke only to confirm his name and enter pleas during the brief hearing.

Four of Stephen Port's alleged victims suffered overdoses and were dumped in or near a churchyard in east London
Four of Stephen Port's alleged victims suffered overdoses and were dumped in or near a churchyard in east London CREDIT: FACEBOOK
Port also faces four alternative charges of manslaughter for each of the murder counts, which he also denies.
He allegedly met the men on gay websites and invited them to his house, where he is accused of poisoning them with the party drug GHB.
Four of his alleged victims, all in their 20s, suffered overdoses and were dumped in or near a churchyard in east London.
Port is due to stand trial on October 4, with his case expected to last up to 10 weeks. 
Detectives began an investigation after four men died over a period of 14 months.

Anthony Walgate, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor
Anthony Walgate, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor CREDIT: FACEBOOK
The first, Anthony Walgate, 23, was found dead on June 19, 2014. He was a fashion and design student at Middlesex University, and was originally from Hull but living in Barnet.
Gabriel Kovari, 22, was found by a dog walker near a churchyard on August 28, 2014. He was originally from Slovakia, but lived in Lewisham, south London.
Just under a month later, on September 20, 2014, the same dog walker discovered the body of Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent, near the same churchyard.
Then on September 14 last year, Jack Taylor, 25, a forklift truck driver from Dagenham, was found dead near the ruins of Barking Abbey.
Man accused of poison murders arrives in courtPlay!00:55
The deaths were not initially linked but after further investigation they were referred to the Metropolitan Police homicide and major crime command on October 14 last year.
The force has referred its handling of the case to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).