Thursday, 9 February 2017


Four men jailed for grooming girls with drink and drugs have lost an appeal against being stripped of their British citizenship.


Shabir Ahmed (top left), Adil Khan (top right), Abdul Aziz (bottom left) and Qari Abdul Rauf
Image Caption:Shabir Ahmed (top left), Adil Khan (top right), Abdul Aziz (bottom left) and Qari Abdul Rauf
Four members of the Rochdale child sex abuse gang are facing deportation after losing an appeal to remain in the UK.
Ringleader Shabir Ahmed and Adil Khan, Qari Abdul Rauf and Abdul Aziz were among nine gang members jailed in 2012 for grooming girls as young as 13 with drink and drugs.
They had challenged Government moves to strip them of their British citizenship.
But on Thursday, the Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber rejected their appeal.
It means the four men, all originally from Pakistan, could be removed from the UK - though the legal battle is expected to take some time.
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk has called for the men to be deported to Pakistan "as soon as possible".
He said: "We welcome many people coming to the UK, to contribute, but if they break the law then they should lose their right to live here.
"Foreign-born criminals should not be able to hide behind human rights laws to avoid deportation."
Ahmed, who is serving a 22-year jail sentence for offences including rape, wrote a letter to the European Court Of Human Rights last year claiming his convictions were a conspiracy to "scapegoat" Muslims.
Handing down today's judgment, Mr Justice McCloskey, said the cases were "of some notoriety", and described the men's crimes as "shocking, brutal and repulsive".
He dismissed claims concerning human rights and arguments by three of the men that the Government had failed in a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of their children.
The judge also rejected a ground of appeal that the Home Office action amounted to a "disproportionate interference" with the men's rights as EU citizens.
The latest ruling does not mean the end of the matter, as the four men can apply for permission to appeal against the tribunal's decision.
Applications can only be made on a question of law, and permission is granted in less than 10% of cases.
While Ahmed remains in custody, the other three have been released on licence.
Khan, Rauf and Aziz were convicted of conspiracy and trafficking for sexual exploitation charges.

The victim, who is based at Prince Harry's former barracks in Windsor, had his face wrapped in cling film before being stabbed.


John Watson has been jailed for 16 years after attempting to murder a fellow serviceman
Image Caption:John Watson has been jailed for 16 years after attempting to murder a fellow serviceman
A soldier has been jailed for 16 years after attempting to murder a love rival and fellow soldier using cling film and a jab saw.
John Watson, 35, kidnapped and attacked James Dicks, then aged 28, in revenge for dating his ex-wife.
After forcing the Household Cavalry trooper into the back of his car, he "hog-tied" his former friend, wrapped his head in cling film and stabbed and slashed him with a knife and jab saw.
The attack only stopped when members of the public called the police, who arrived armed with Tasers.
Both men were married, but living separately from their wives, and Mr Dicks had become romantically involved with Mrs Watson in early 2016.
Despite attempts to keep the relationship secret, Watson discovered that his friend was seeing his wife, which he considered to be a "betrayal".
It was following the death of his foster mother in March that the father-of-two "planned to kill James Dicks", who he had first met in 2010 and was later stationed with at Combermere Barracks, near Windsor, in 2015.
Prior to the attack, the soldier, who had served in Afghanistan, had Googled both how to dispose of a body and sentences for murder, as well as ordering a workman to dig a grave near his barracks, claiming it was to bury his dog.
During sentencing, the judge said: "It seems to me there are two John Watsons.
"The John Watson who was a devoted family man and the disciplined soldier who served his country with honour and bravery, and then there is the other John Watson, the one who allowed himself to become consumed by anger, jealousy, rage and murderous intent over the course of February to May 2016."
During the attack, Mr Dicks suffered a stab wound to his side and elbow, and damage to a tendon in his right middle finger, which required surgery.
Mr Dicks and Mrs Watson - who has reverted to her maiden name - are still in a relationship, and are now believed to have a child together.


Wednesday, 8 February 2017


Pakistan International Airlines says the fighter planes were launched after a "vague security threat" made in a phone call.


The Pakistan International Airlines plane is being held at the airport while police investigate
Image Caption:The Pakistan International Airlines plane is being held at the airport while police investigate
A passenger wanted by the Metropolitan Police was arrested after RAF fighter jets intercepted a Pakistani passenger plane.
The Pakistan International Airlines aircraft flying from Lahore to Heathrow was escorted to Stansted airport by the RAF Typhoons.
Police earlier said flight PK757 was diverted due to reports of a disruptive passenger.
"This is not believed to be a hijack situation or terror matter," Essex Police said in a statement. "The plane is currently at the airport and officers are making enquiries."

Emergency vehicles deployed to Stansted as the plane landed. Pic: Wendy Child
Image Caption:Emergency vehicles deployed to Stansted as the plane landed. Pic: Wendy Child
The Metropolitan Police told Sky News the wanted man was not the cause of the disturbance that forced the flight to be diverted.
Officers who had been due to pick up the man from Heathrow were forced to travel to Stansted to arrest him.
The 52-year-old was detained on suspicion of fraud.
A Pakistan International Airlines spokesman said there had been "some vague security threat through an anonymous phone call" before RAF jets were sent to escort the flight.
"All passengers onboard are safe and being looked after by PIA's local management," the spokesman said.
"Passengers will be provided surface transport to London. For the return flight efforts are underway to ensure least inconvenience to passengers."

An RAF Typhoon leaves Stansted after escorting the Pakistani passenger plane
Image Caption:An RAF Typhoon leaves Stansted after escorting the Pakistani passenger plane
Video apparently filmed from a car passing the airport showed dozens of police vehicles, ambulances and fire engines by the runway.
An RAF spokesman said: "The RAF can confirm Quick Reaction Alert Typhoon aircraft were launched this afternoon from RAF Coningsby to intercept a civilian aircraft.
"The aircraft was intercepted and safely escorted to Stansted airport."



Zakaria Bulhan did not react as he was sent to Broadmoor indefinitely for his deadly rampage in central London.


Zakaria Bulhan
Image Caption:Zakaria Bulhan 'skipped' away after the attack in August 2016
A teenager who killed an American tourist and injured five other people in a stabbing rampage in Russell Square has been given an indefinite hospital order.
Zakaria Bulhan, 19, plunged a large kitchen knife into the back of retired special needs teacher Darlene Horton, 64, on 3 August last year.
Five other people were injured during the rampage before he "skipped" away with a "crazed smile" on his face.
Bulhan was arrested six minutes after the alarm was raised when armed police swooped on the square in central London.

Darlene Horton
Image Caption:Darlene Horton, 64, had been due to fly back to the US the following day
After being Tasered, Bulhan, who lived in Tooting, was heard to mumble "Allah, Allah, Allah".
It later emerged that the teenager suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and was hearing voices.
Bulhan, a Norwegian national of Somali origin, denied murder at the Old Bailey but admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
Sentencing, Mr Justice Spencer handed him a hospital order without a time limit.
He told Bulhan: "It is quite clear that when you committed these dreadful crimes you were not in your right mind. You were in the grip of mental illness, paranoid schizophrenia."
Mrs Horton, a mother of two, was visiting London with her husband and was due to return home to Tallahassee, Florida, the following day.

Police forensic officers at work in Russell Square
Image Caption:Police forensic officers at work in Russell Square following Zakaria Bulhan's rampage
Bulhan also admitted charges of wounding with intent on Martin Hoenisch, Lillie Selletin, David Imber, Bernard Hepplewhite and Yovel Lewronski.
The judge described the killing as "a tragic waste of life" and said the psychological effects would never leave the survivors.
As the rampage unfolded there were fears Russell Square had again been the target of terrorists following the 7/7 attacks of 2005.
Mr Justice Spencer said Bulhan's crimes "caused enormous public concern" because "it was feared initially that they might be the work of a terrorist fanatic".
"As it turned out they were not, although that is no consolation to your victims," he said.
Bulhan did not react as he was led from the dock to return to Broadmoor secure mental hospital.


Mark Frost will die in jail after committing "horrific" abuse against children from Thailand to Worcestershire over two decades.


Mark Frost, a prolific paedophile
Image Caption:Mark Frost admitted assaults against dozens of young boys
A retired teacher has been given 13 life sentences after admitting a "horrific" catalogue of abuse on children.
Mark Frost, 70, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to 45 offences against nine children aged 11 to 15 in Thailand between 2009 and 2012.
Frost, formerly known as Andrew Tracey, also admitted having sex with two pupils in Worcestershire over three years in the 1990s.
The court heard how some of the abuse took place at school and on other occasions at the home where Frost lived with his adopted son.
He was sentenced to serve a minimum of 16 years for each life sentence and is likely to die in jail.
Judge Mark Lucraft told Frost he was responsible for "the most appalling catalogue of sexual abuse" and it was clear he had an "ongoing obsession" with young boys.
He said: "Your conduct towards each and every one of these victims is horrific and deeply disturbing.
"You are someone who continues to present a very real risk to children of serious sexual offending."
In addition to the 13 life sentences, Frost was handed 10-year terms for other sex offences and five-year terms for indecent images.
The ex-English teacher gave no reaction as he was jailed.
A spokesman for the NSPCC said: "Frost was a prolific and dangerous paedophile who worked as a teacher and Scout leader for decades. We hope that anyone who suffered can now find the courage to speak out."