Bailey Gwynne, 16, died from a knife wound to the chest in a fight at a school in Aberdeen last October.
11:42, UK,Friday 01 April 2016
Bailey Gwynne was stabbed at an Aberdeen school
A 16-year-old boy who stabbed school pupil Bailey Gwynne to death after a "silly, trivial fight" has been locked up for nine years.
Bailey, also aged 16, died from a knife wound to the chest in a fight at Cults Academy in Aberdeen last October.
The teenager was sentenced to nine years' detention at the High Court in Edinburgh after being convicted last month of culpable homicide.
The jury at Aberdeen's High Court had ruled against a murder charge following a five-day trial.
The scene where Bailey Gwynne was attacked
The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had admitted fatally stabbing Bailey but denied murder.
During evidence, the court heard that both boys had been involved in a school corridor row about sharing biscuits.
Witnesses did not agree on how the fight unfolded, but the jury was told Bailey had squared up to the teenager after he made a comment about his mother.
They both were said to have thrown punches and two onlookers said the killer pulled out a knife after Bailey got him in a headlock.
When he was stabbed the blade went directly into the heart, according to a post-mortem examination.
The scene where Bailey Gwynne was attacked
Prosecutor Alex Prentice QC told the trial it was a "silly, trivial fight" between the pair.
Sentencing, Judge Lady Stacey said to the youngster: "If you had not carried a knife, the exchange of insults between you and Bailey Gwynne would have led at worst to a fist fight ... and certainly not loss of life."
She also told him: "Nothing that I can say nor any sentence that I impose will do anything to lessen the grief that Bailey Gwynne's family and friends feel.
"The shock of the death at such a young age was felt in the wider community; nothing I can say or do can alleviate that."
The judge's sentence means the killer will serve nine years in custody - eight for culpable homicide and one for carrying weapons.
He will then be supervised for another two years on release.
Before sentencing, his lawyer Ian Duguid QC told the court: "He is profoundly sorry."
He also claimed the youngster was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
Last month, Bailey's mother Kate Gwynne paid tribute to her "sweet boy with a big dream".
She said: "We will always be immensely proud that Bailey is our son.
"It has always been a true blessing and a privilege to have Bailey and to share the honour of knowing, raising and loving him. That is not something that time or our parting will ever change."